What does a whirlpool cost?
Purchase and running costs of a whirlpool from sopra
A whirlpool or swim spa in the home, on the terrace or in the garden - more and more people are fulfilling this dream of having their own wellness area. And most are also aware that a whirlpool is an investment for which they (are happy to) pay a certain amount. However, after the purchase costs come the running costs which, experience shows, are often underestimated. Water, electricity, cleaning measures or even repairs ... - this all costs money and it is advisable that these oncosts are given the same consideration as the choice of the perfect whirlpool as early as possible.
How much money you ultimately have to spend if the whirlpool is used regularly and maintained properly ultimately depends on a number of factors. The size of the whirlpool, its placement, the features included and the insulation need to be taken into account. Unfortunately it is therefore not possible to give a general answer to the question "What does a whirlpool cost?" There are, though, a few aspects worth noting that can have a positive effect on the cost and energy balance of the whirlpool. We will show you what you need to bear in mind.
Energy factor whirlpool: How much electricity does a whirlpool actually consume?
Every whirlpool needs first of all electricity in order to operate. Unlike common household electrical appliances, whirlpools are no longer given an energy efficiency classification. This makes it difficult to narrow down the actual amount of electricity consumed by whirlpools - because they can be installed both indoors and outdoors. On top of this, every whirlpool model has several electricity consumers:
- Water filtration by circulation pump: for the continuous circulation of the water, bubble function and constant water temperature
- Surface skimmer: effective skimming of the surface water and its cleaning
- Salt water disinfection system: for the self-cleaning of the water by salt electrolysis
- Filter systems: for the cleaning of the whirlpool water and minimisation of the use of water care products
- Waterfall: for the circulation and additional cleaning of the water by contained microfilter
- UV disinfection system: prevention of microorganisms forming in the water by UV light
- Heating system: direct, effective heating of the water by heating element
A whirlpool’s biggest consumers of electricity are heating and the pumps in their number and output. They cause a significant increase in annual electricity consumption. In order to establish to some degree the expected electricity costs, it therefore makes goods sense to understand the factors you can influence for a better energy balance before you buy a whirlpool, for example:
- Frequency and average time of whirlpool use
- Average number of bathers
- Water volume/fill volume of the whirlpool
- kWh price of the chosen electricity provider
- Location of the whirlpool (indoor or outdoor)
- Average ambient temperature at the location
- Insulation of the whirlpool
- Number of jets, amount of accessories and cover
We assume: The whirlpool is used three times a week for half an hour, the average water temperature is 37 - 39° C, the water is changed completely twice a year and the average heat loss is approx. 2° C per day.
The sopra expert tip: Full insulation of the whirlpool saves cash
Poorly insulated outdoor whirlpools are real energy guzzlers. They consume three to four times the amount of energy and in the worst case they freeze at sub-zero temperatures if they are not protected. Good insulation of the whirlpool in order to save energy costs is therefore one of the most important measures for outdoor whirlpools - alongside a low-price energy provider and a cover.
What is meant by full foam insulation is that the whole area between the tub and the exterior panelling is filled with insulating foam. This insulation prevents the water from cooling and evaporating. Although this initially involves a higher purchase cost, in the medium and long term it will have an impact on the energy balance. In short: The higher the quality of a whirlpool, the cheaper it is to run.
Energy advice for whirlpools
Our sopra partners would be happy to advise you and help you design a home spa which meets the latest energy requirements and which you will be able to enjoy for a long time to come - whether a bubbling indoor whirlpool, outdoor whirlpool or a sporty swim spa in your own garden. You can also talk to us if you already own a whirlpool and would like to examine its energy balance thoroughly.
We are at your service
Whether you are happy with the quality of our services or would like to know more about our performance or services please contact us.
We look forward to hearing from you.